Sunday, October 5, 2008

Planning Ahead

Kind of boring tonight.  Roast pork loin with buttermilk mashed garnet yams and haricots vert (little green beans- sssh, they were frozen from Trader Joes).  I have ulterior motives for the pork.


I like Penzey's Bavarian seasoning for this.  Plenty of salt, too (kosher), then I brown the thing on all sides in my  beat up old restaurant supply saute pan, and throw it in a 400' oven for about 50 minutes.

Sweet potatoes ready to be mashed with butter and buttermilk.  The tang works well with the sweetness of the potatoes.

The frozen TJ's beans.  I blanch them in that pan in shallow water, then drain the water off, add some cherry tomatoes, more butter (but not too much!) and Mrs. Dash.  You know what I like about Mrs. Dash?  I have no aversion to salt, believe me.  But Mrs. Dash leaves all these appetizing looking specks of seasoning on your food.  I dig that.

Make sure you let your roasts rest before slicing.  This 2.25 lb roast (before cooking) needed about 10 minutes.

I just used the pan juices with a little white wine to dissolve them for a sauce.  Usually that doesn't make enough, but we were only eating half the pork tonight.  The leftovers I have in mind don't require sauce....

No comments: