Thursday, October 2, 2008

Chicken Breasts Tonight

Tonight I made what I guess you could call a "Supreme du Volaille Nicoise" except for two things:  I used Kalamata, not Nicoise, olives- and nobody would know what you were talking about.
 I've never been big on naming my dinners.  This was based on flavors you might find in the south of France, as well as Mediterannean Spain, Greece, and Italy.  Or, as the case may be- kicking around the back of my fridge.

Chicken breasts
Olive Oil
Onion and garlic
Splash of white wine
Tomatoes
Stuff like- roasted peppers, artichokes, olives, sun dried tomatoes, capers, fresh basil.....
Chicken broth
I cut the chicken like this to get pieces that cook quickly and evenly.  They get seasoned and browned in olive oil.  Then they are removed from the pan, and the onions and garlic are lightly browned in the same pan.  Turn the heat down and salt them to help them get soft before they burn.  Then, you just pour in the wine and boil ot briefly, add the other stuff, and simmer about 10 minutes.  Add the chicken back and cook it another 5 minutes:

Do you like polenta?  It's such a tasty easy side.  If you can make oatmeal on the stovetop, you've practically already made polenta.  It's just a coarse ground cornmeal that cooks up in salted water to a kind of mush- but then you add butter and cheese (parmesan, here).  Mmmm. 

Make sure you cook it as long as the package says, and don't be afraid to add more water as it cooks.  

Maybe you noticed I seemed to have cooked way too much zucchini last night?  I did.  So tonight, I topped the sauteed slices with Panko bread crumbs, parmesan, and olive oil; and broiled them:
It was good :)

Speaking of leftovers, I took a lot of the veggies I used tonight and the grain mix from the other night, and got a head start on my husband's lunch for tomorrow.  I'll add some goat cheese and dressing before I pack it.



No comments: