Monday, October 27, 2008

Enchiladas with Green Sauce

I don't really know how to classify this dish.  I wanted to use some homemade tomatillo sauce I had in the freezer and make plain chicken enchiladas, but it wasn't going to be enough. Then I saw someone at the store put spinach into her cart and I thought "if I was a good mom I'd give my children spinach tonight as well,".... and also, a cheese craving struck.



It's a petty complicated recipe unless you happen to have some homemade tomatillo sauce, too...so let me just say the sauce was tangy and creamy, the filling was spinach, cream cheese,and  rotisserie chicken shreds.  Rolled up in corn tortillas...I finally gave up on trying to make decent enchiladas without frying the tortillas in a little fat before rolling them.  My fat of choice?  Dare I tell?  It's actually lard leftover from frying carnitas.  It is unbelievable. Use in moderation.  You can get it at the meat counter at El Rey.

Here they are covered in the sauce and Monterrey Jack cheese,

And on the plate with frijoles refritos and a saute of corn, zucchini, and red pepper with some scallions, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.


No comments: