Monday, November 3, 2008

Stuffed Peppers

Turkey and Rice stuffed Red Peppers with Honey Roasted Delicata Squash

  I make a lot of winter squash for the beta carotene but I really don't love them.  The Delicata is a fairly hard squash.  Cut off the top and bottom to stabilize it, then use your knife to carve away swaths of peel from top to bottom.  


Quarter, scoop out the seeds, and you are left with manageable pieces to work with.  I sliced these into wedges, tossed with oil, salt, and pepper, drizzled with honey, and roasted, covered, with about 1/4c water in the bottom of the pan.  Took about 25 minutes at 400.'

The peppers:  par cooked rice, ground turkey, half an onion minced and cooked in bacon fat, and some poultry seasoning.  For sauce, I used a can of plain "tomato sauce" with a hit of chicken broth (just to keep the consistency from getting too gloppy), and then I add rather a lot of good Paprika, brown sugar, and a splash of cider vinegar (also salt and pepper) to achieve a sort of sweet sour balance that I associate with the Eastern European feel of this dish.

I like to slice and fill the peppers lengthwise, like this ^.  It's easier to make and to eat, and gives a better ratio of filling to pepper.  These took about 45 minutes at 400.'

No comments: