Sunday, November 30, 2008

Lasagna Bolognese

This is an absolutely delicious lasagna.  Unfortunately the photo of it is as a leftover.  I made the lasagna on a night when we went to the Opera and left my parents in charge of baking and eating it while they babysat.  I had the Bolognese sauce in the freezer so it went together in about 15 minutes.

First I made a roux- you know, equal parts flour and fat (in this case butter) cooked briefly together.

Then I added whole milk and brought to a boil, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  I used about 1/3 cup each of butter and flour, and about 4 cups of milk.  The sauce should be thinner than you might think, since the noodles soak up liquid.

Can I just say again how awesome those no boil lasagna noodles are?  I never used to make lasagna until someone told me how well these work- now lasagna is a feasible everyday meal.  So anyway, the bechamel (that's the milk sauce) gets layered with the Bolognese and the noodles.

Sprinkle some Parmesan on the top, cover with foil, and bake for 45 minutes at 350'.  Then remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes or so.

Yum.

No comments: