Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mustard Glazed Pork Chops

I have carnivore guilt just looking at the picture.  Thick cut, bone in pork chops with a sweet, smoky, and tangy BBQ mustard glaze, sweet potato and apple casserole, and plain blanched sugar snap peas.

I seasoned the pork with just salt and pepper, then seared them in a very hot saute pan.  I didn't even need to add any extra fat since the chops were well marbled.  Let me explain about that skillet- it's not dirty, really.  That black stuff all over the sides is like the seasoning on a cast iron skillet.  A permanent coating from cooking a lot, with very high heat.  I don't even notice it since all the saute pans in restaurant kitchens are this way, but when someone- like my mom- tries to scrub it off I feel a little embarrassed about it so I thought I'd just put that excuse out there...

SO the chops are nice and brown and almost cooked through- I added a dollop of this BBQ mustard, a splash of white wine, a pinch of brown sugar and a glug of chicken stock and let it all boil down into a sticky intense glaze.

Previously, I had cooked some diced Fuji apple in butter and a pinch of allspice. 

I folded the apples into some mashed sweet potatoes, spooned the mixture into a little Pyrex baking dish, and topped it with a scattering of buttered pretzel crumbs before popping it into the oven to crisp up.  I'm a big fan of the crispy toppings, in case you hadn't noticed! 

The chops and potato rest while I blanch the snap peas in boiling water.  They only take about a 45 seconds to perfection.

No comments: