Thursday, November 20, 2008

Catching up

It's been a while since I posted so here's what's been on the table:  Sunday somebody gave me a fresh 18 lb turkey (don't ask).  I had thought to roast the whole thing,  but then I came to my senses about having the carcass haunting me for the next week, so I broke it down. I froze the thighs and a breast, I made a nice broth, and I roasted the  drumsticks, wings, and the other breast.  From that, we got dinner plus leftover dark meat and most of the breast for sandwiches.  I didn't take pictures and more's the pity because it was quite the spectacle, with raw turkey all over the counter and the little one pitching a fit to be included.

Monday I made a big calzone, like a stromboli even- roasted eggplant and peppers, spinach, sauce, pepperoni, and fresh mozzarella on a TJ's herb dough.  Rolled it up and baked it about 35 minutes at 380'


Tuesday I used that roasted turkey to make Turkey and Dumplings according to my grandmother's recipe.  Here is it in the pot-

And here plated.


I also made bagels.  They were only OK- I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour which is supposed to be pretty much interchangeable with white, but I thought the bagels were a little heavy and slightly bitter.  Bagels get simmered in sweetened water before they are baked.

The next night we had spinach and feta fritatta with marinated tomato and roasted peppers on crusty baguette.


No comments: