Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chicken Saltimbocca

With sauteed garlic spinach and roasted red potatoes.

Traditionally Saltimbocca ("jumps in the mouth") is made with veal and a sage leaf.  I used chicken breasts and a little Poultry Seasoning in place of the sage.  I sort of half- butterflied the breasts:  just used my knife to open up the thickest part of the breast.  Then I dried them, sprinkled on the seasoning, pressed the prosciutto onto one side and around the edges, and pounded them to an even thinness with the mallet.  The Prosciutto just sort of sticks.  Right before sauteing them in olive oil, I dusted them lightly with flour and pepper.


Then, into the pan goes white wine, sauteed mushrooms, and capers. 

Once the brown bits were scraped up and the wine was mostly boiled away, I just added some chicken broth with a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved into it to get a nice little sauce.  

Having an issue with my photo software, but thought this was cute anyway- she finished hers and went right for mine.  BOTH kids ate this all up!

No comments: