Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Very veggie turkey chili


Ingredients: Home ground turkey thigh, onions, carrot, celery, orange bell pepper, ground fresh tomatoes, Penzey's chili powder, garlic, chicken broth, black beans, corn, and a diced sweet potato. Calorie count: 300 for a big bowl. Oh, yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

I have a hard time with cutting out the refined carbs and still filling up myself and my active family. Starchy vegetables like corn and sweet potatoes do the trick. Sweet potatoes are actually a really good fit with southwestern flavors- try chipotle with them in your favorite recipe (unless it has marshmallows in it!). Plus beans are filling and protein rich. I topped my serving with a squeeze of lime and some diced avocado- the non dieters also had cheese and oyster crackers.

No comments: